6 — 7 May 2023
The Reveil broadcast completed a full loop of the earth over the Dawn Chorus Day weekend, despite facing serious technical issues.
We are sorry for the reduced number of live streams featured, and especially that we were unable to include the wide variety of streams prepared for the event from locations around the world, with the work and time that went into them.
We were very grateful for the support and understanding we received from streamers, broadcasters and the Acoustic Commons network in response to these difficulties.
We are working with our partners to learn from the technical problems and create a more stable basis for future iterations.
We were happy that in many cases people were able to take the time of Reveil to listen to sounds around them, while the broadcast itself continued to generate a remarkable sequence of sounds, albeit more restricted than we hoped and planned. Writing in the Internet Relay Chat created an unusual live record of listenings together and apart, which we will discuss with the writers how best to share.
Soundcamp is a sound and ecology festival at places around the world on Dawn Chorus Day.
Locations are linked by Reveil, a 24+1 hour radio broadcast of live environmental sounds, sent in by streamers around sunrise.
Join us over the first weekend in May as REVEIL turns 10.
Watch a video on streaming live environmental sounds for Reveil (Webinar recorded 25/03/23).
For other activities of the Soundcamp cooperative, please see News
Or set one up.
Soundcamp 10 will feature:
– Acoustic Commons Study Group convened by Ella Finer
– PITCH portable auditorium by Public Works and Michael Speers
– Crystal radio workshop with Shortwave Collective
– Meditations with the full moon by Blanc Sceol (Stephen Shiell, Hannah White)
– Down to Earth by ATOM (Alisa Oleva, Timothy Maxymenko) & Andrey Kiritchenko
– 555 Bugs and Object Voices by Maria Komarova
– DIY analogues workshop. Solargraphs and pinholes with Ky Lewis
– Transmissions by the Acoustic Commons network
– REVEIL Guest mixes by Leah Barclay (Sunshine Coast, Queensland) and Fernando Godoy (Radio Tsonami, Valparaíso, Chile)
– Dawn bird walk with John Cadera and Graeme Wright
– Bat walk with Iain Boulton
– Screenings, conversations, presentations with ARGH
Soundcamp 10 is a project of the Soundcamp Cooperative with Stave Hill Ecological Park (TCV) and the Acoustic Commons network: Full Of Noises (Cumbria UK) · Locus Sonus (Aix FR) · Radio CONA (Ljubljana SI) · HMU (Crete GR) · Cyberforest (Tokyo JP).
Streams are part of the live soundmap operated by Locus Sonus at ESAAIX, Aix-en-Provence.
The Reveil main mix is hosted by Wave Farm in Acra, Upper Hudson Valley, New York, our US broadcast partner since the first edition. Resonance Radio is our long-term UK broadcast partner. The show is carried each year in whole or in part by Soundart Radio (UK) , NAISA Radio (Canada), and a network of FM and net radio stations around the world.
REVEIL / Soundcamp 10 receives public funding from Arts Council England, Southwark Neighbourhoods Fund, North Southwark Environment Trust. The soundcamp cooperative depends in addition on the generosity of private supporters, collaborators and friends. Thank you all.